Wow, two posts in two days? What’s wrong with me??
I am currently working on my 2012 submission for the IQA show in Houston. This piece is a total departure for me. I am working with ethnic costumes and foreign military outfits as my inspiration. I typically use modernity and architecture as inspiration. My goal is to post progress pics. We’ll see…
I started working on the cuffs. They are going to be hand-furrowed. Furrowing, is taking a large piece of fabric and hand “gathering” it into a small space then stitching down all of the valleys created. It’s a bit like ruching or shirring, but not as uniform.
This is a piece of cotton that I found in the back of Joann’s like 5 years ago on the clearance shelf. It has a swirly chain stitch design over the technical face. I dyed it in Basic Red from Pro Chem. It took the dye very well.
I then stretch a foundation fabric (silk organza) on stretcher bars, then on a scroll frame. You don’t have to stretch it on a frame, but it does make life that much easier. Here is the frame I use for all of the hand work. I got it at the Quilt Show last year and am convinced that it has saved me so much time when it comes to doing this kind of work. I got it from K’s Creations. I can use purchased stretcher bars from Texas Art Supply and create any size I need for my work. They simply clamp on to the scroll frame and I am good to go.
I drew the pattern piece on organza after I stretched it, that way when I pull it taut, the lines won’t get distorted.
Now, I hand gather the fabric to the outer edge of the pattern piece lines and pin the centers in place. This is where the
tedium fun begins. I scrunch and pleat the fabric as I go so that it looks like a Shar Pei’s rear end.
And some details…
I’ll let you know about the next step in the creative process and soon as I come up with it!