My friend Jeff asked me to make an outfit for him to wear to a steampunk ball on Halloween. (For those of your who do not know what steampunk, is here’s a link.)Normally I wouldn’t volunteer to sew for someone, but I kind of wanted to. I’ve been in a creative malaise lately and thought that this might be the escape I need. Besides, Jeff is a very nice guy… and insanely well proportioned for someone who stands 6 foot 5 inches tall.
This is the rough sketch of what I am making for him. We were coordinating all of this in like 2 days so I didn’t have time to do a fancy-shamcy illustration. Also, he lives in New York, so everything had to be small enough to scan. Some of this is going to change, but the overall look is the same.
Here are the progress pics so far:
Here is the pattern and foundation in buckram for the hat. It is going to be a slightly flared top hat with a shaped brim and “details”. As soon as I figure out the details, I’ll let you know!
Here is the pile of patterns that will become the vest. I know what you are thinking. “Gilbert, did you use a commercial pattern??!!??” Yes, yes I did. Here’s why: A – this has to be finished in a couple of weeks, so drafting to spec is out of the question. B – He lives in New York so there is no way I can personally fit him, so I have to rely on commercial standards of measurement. C – Bite me, I can do what I want, besides, It has been so far altered from what the original pattern looked like, no one will notice.
Here is the pile of fabrics that will be converted into wearable magic:
Originally, I wanted a spongebag stripe for the pants, but it was not available to me locally. I couldn’t find any online either. The houndstooth pictured looks like a tailoring wool, but is actually very soft cotton. The vest will be the black wool and the mottled gray and black slinky fabric will be the ascot. Actually, I’m not sure Jeff knows about the ascot. Shhh, don’t tell him. It’ll be a surprise!
OK, that’s enough. As soon as I make more progress, I’ll post more pics.