Buttons and no bows…

More progress on the piece that I’m working on!

These are the side front panels. The multicolored one is a lightweight cotton twill that I painted with thickened dye in an abstract checkerboard motif. The gray side has been dyed in Pearl Gray RIT dye.

On the color-blocked one, I used matching thread and quilted the hell out of it in a very sketchy way. I wanted the stitches to look like the remnants of brushstrokes. On the gray side, I did a very simple quilting pattern.

Here is a detail of the stitching on the color-blocking:

I wanted to inject some more texture into the gray side so I dug up some mother of pearl buttons and turned them upside down. The opalescence of the pearl is nice, but I wanted the gritty texture of the shell to be the focus. You can see the finished piece here resting on the beading frame.

And here is a detail of the buttons, sewn well within the confines of the stitching line.

More to come later…

G

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s